Healthcare System in Spain

healthcare system in SpainSpain Healthcare system is funded by social security contributions and combines public and private healthcare. Each region is responsible for its own healthcare budget and its own wealth distribution for this purpose. If you want to attend public hospitals and clinics, you must register at the General Social Security Fund (Dirección General de la Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social-TGSS) and you will have access to unrestricted good quality medical services. You can find social security offices located in each province of Spain.

The beneficiaries of the Social security and healthcare system in Spain are:
• Employees and workers
• Self-employed people
• Students, excluding international students who are currently living in Spain
• Workers affiliated with a cooperative work experience
• Civil servants or military personnel
• Family of any legal resident tax paying person in Spain

Spain’s social security system has two schemes of work:
1. Contributory: All working population of Spain contribute to the social security system and receive appropriate service. Note that students are covered by another plan.
2. Non-contributory: The non-contributory system is for people with no income or with a very low income. The benefits include medical assistance.

Social Security Number
Every worker should have a social security number. This number guarantees you healthcare, illness and unemployment benefits, as well as government pensions. When you receive this number you have it for the rest of your life. Note that most commonly, employers request a social security number for their employees, but if you are self-employed then you need to apply for the number on your own. When your application is accepted, you will receive the registration certificate and the registration number (documento de afiliación).

To apply for the Social Security Number, you will need to present the following documents:
• Your Número Identificatión de Extranjero (NIE)
• Your Passport or residence certificate
• Social Security application form (form TA1) duly filled

When a person has the working contract terminated, he/she or the employer should notify the Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social.
Managers of BarnaRelocation are happy to help you with any issue regarding the Social Security number and simplify the process.


  • 3 + 77 =