Registration in City Hall in Barcelona (Empadronamiento)

address registrationAs part of our services, BarnaRelocation can help you with this certificate. With us the registration will be simple, easy and organised. We highly recommend obtaining the Registration in City Hall (Empadronamiento) once you have found a temporary or permanent house in Barcelona.
What is it?
Empadronamiento is a document which states that you are a resident at a particular address. This document will state your address and if you are sharing the house with your family they also have to be registered. Note that each time you change addresses you will have to register again at the City Hall, in order to provide them updated information about your residency.

Empadronamiento is a simple document which you will need for many other government officials. You will need it to obtain the NIE (foreign identification number), opening a bank account, getting a mobile number, buying a car, obtaining social security card or when you decide to get married.

Where can you get it?
The city hall in Barcelona is called “Ayuntamiento”, you can find more informant at Usually you won’t need to get an appointment in advance but it’s advisable to ask for “cita previa” (appointment). But it will take some time to get the paper, and for that reason BarnaRelocation advices to reserve 1 or 2 hours of your time in order to complete the registration.

Which documents will you need to bring with you?
You will need to have with you the following documents:

  • Original Passport or Identity Card is mandatory. If you will register other members of your family, you must have their original Passports or Identity Cards with you. Moreover, you will be asked to prove that you are one family and having said that, you have to ring with you a legal certificate of your Union and birth certificate of your children. BarnaRelocation advices to bring with you the original credentials together with their photocopies.
  • If you are renting an apartment, you should provide a lease agreement for the minimum term of 6 months.
  • If you are renting a room, you will need to come with your landlord or ask him to sign a paper that he allows you to live in his flat for 6 months, together with a the copy of his Identity Card or Passport.
  • You will need to fill in an application form which you will complete in the administration office.

When will you get it?
Usually you will receive the certificate immediately on the same day.


  • 3 + 82 =