Both civil and religious weddings are legally recognised in Spain, and a Spanish wedding is legally recognised nearly worldwide.
In the event of getting married in Spain, there are some rules that you should follow. First of all, both parties must be over 16 years old. You have to live independently from your parents and it is important to mention that individuals between 16 and 18 will need authorisation from their parents or be legally emancipated, unmarried and in a good mental state. If the government authorities consider that either of the parties is affected by mental deficiencies, the Civil Register doctor is required to issue a medical opinion declaring that the marrying couple can continue with their wedding process.
Residency and documentation requirements may vary depending where you live in Spain. BarnaRelocation advises its clients to consult with the local officials where the wedding is going to take place to be sure that all necessary requirements are correct. Our wedding planner Barcelona section will make sure everything is correctly planned.
Normally the following documents are required:
1. Passport, NIE (Foreign Identity Number), Foreign Residence Card (Tarjeta de Residencia) or DNI (Spanish National ID card) + photocopy
2. Original birth certificate stamped with a Hague Apostil from the relevant issuing office in your home country (eg in the UK, it’s the Foreign Office) and officially translated into Spanish.
3. If needed, a declaration from the Consulate which confirms that they are not married in their home country and that there is no other obstruction for the wedding to take place.
4. The Empadronamiento (Certificate of Residence) to prove you have been a resident in the relevant town for at least two years.
5. If it is your second wedding, you will need the previous wedding certificate and its nullification.
BarnaRelocation will provide you all the necessary information regarding to a wedding in Spain.
If you are planning to have a wedding in Spain, we will advise you on what to expect, where to go and which documents are required for this legal process according to each specific case. Also BarnaRelocation can advise you to manage your Wedding Ceremony Planning in order to make this day unforgettable for the rest of your life.
We make it simple!